Followers

Friday 11 September 2015

Tips for De-Stressing


As we're coming into the back-to-school and back-to-uni period, I find it increasingly important to remember that every now and then, it's important to take an hour or two to yourself to de-stress, especially when you've had a hard day or you're feeling like the pressure is on. I'm a total stress-head, and although 95% of the time I am quite a relaxed, content person, I get nights where I am very anxious and feel extremely on edge. These are some tried-and-tested tips of mine that help me out when I'm feeling nervous, anxious and worried.

1. Lighting candles or breathing in essential oils.
 - I find it calming to breathe in pleasant scents when I feel stressed, as I feel as if the air around me if being 'cleansed' of the stressful atmosphere. I like to light a Yankee candle or melt one of their tarts, or I warm up one of my microwaveable animals and breathe in the lavender scent. Just ensure that the scent you're breathing in aren't so strong that they could give you a headache.

Yankee Candle's 'Red Raspberry'


2. Drinking tea.
 - As someone who, 9 times out of 10, drinks tea over coffee, I find it to be a familiar and comforting ritual that I start and end my day with. Some people like herbal teas such as lemon and rose, but my favourites are English breakfast, green, matcha and camomile.

3. Reading.
 - I like to read when I feel a bit stressed out. When I'm feeling on edge, I like to escape reality and whatever is bothering me by going into a fictitious world, or by reading Shakespearean plays. I particularly like to read Howl's Moving Castle, as it is filled with fantasy, romance and magic and I love the film, too. I also like to read plays such as A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet - any of the romances. These instil the idea that true love never dies, and although many of his romances were also tragedies, I find the love between the characters heart-warming.

4. Taking a bath/shower and pampering yourself.
 - This is one of my favourite things to do when I'm feeling down in the dumps, as I find that using my nicer cosmetics on my skin and hair make me feel extra squeaky-clean and ready for a new day. I like using a Lush bath bomb or bubble bar to make my bath water really smooth and silky, or I'll use a Lush shower gel in the shower. This is also when I'll do a hair mask, face mask, shave and maybe apply fake tan too, as that always makes me feel a little bit better about myself. Having a massage from a significant other is also very relaxing, however you can massage your own body too. I like to massage my thighs using a Lush massage bar, and I find that this helps me out with my body confidence issues, too.
The 'Tender is the Night' massage bar from LUSH


5. Repeating positive mantras and EFT tapping.
- I find repeating positive mantras (e.g. 'have faith in how far you have come, have faith in how far you will go', 'I have enough, I do enough, I am enough') and doing some EFT tapping for anxiety (watch a YouTube video on this if you want a little tutorial on how to do it) make me feel a whole lot better in a small amount of time. Plus, it's accessible and you can do it whenever you feel anxious.

6. Take a nap.
- This is one of my favourite things to do as I love sleeping as it symbolises a fresh start for me. If I'm feeling anxious, pressurised or in a rut, I'll take a 20 minute to 60 minute long power nap to refresh my body and mind, then I'll continue to do whatever I have planned to do.

7. Playing games.
- Using apps or playing games can distract your mind and make you feel happier. Brain games in particular are the best ones to play as they help develop your logic skills and you can set yourself little challenges and look forward to playing.

8. Cleaning and organising.
- If you prefer to feel proactive over relaxing in the bath, I recommend that you do a task such as cleaning your room, organising your wardrobe or drawers and throwing out or donating anything you don't need anymore. At the moment, the world is in an organising obsession, as Marie Kondo's amazing book 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' has people wanting to hit the refresh button on their possessions. I have done this myself in the break I've had between sixth form and university, as I want to make university my new, fresh start. It's made me feel more organised, more tidy and now I love everything in my bedroom.

Those are all of the tips I have for today's post. I hope that this has given you the courage to take some 'you time' and let go of the stress. It's very important for your mental, emotional and physical health to press pause now and then. Leave me a comment down below with your favourite things to do when you need to de-stress.
- Amelia

2 comments:

  1. De-stressing is super important for students - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - it's what got me through my A Levels at school! What do you do to de-stress?

      Delete